A common issue associated with using LED flood lights is flashing or flickering. This disruption in the consistent light stream can be distracting and annoying for users, while also indicative of volt load or electrical connection problems in the home or commercial facility. Learn the causes of LED flood light flashing, troubleshooting tips, and why selecting quality equipment is important for avoiding this issue.
What Are LED Flood Lights?
Flood lighting bulbs and fixtures are outdoor spots that can be activated to detect motion using a sensor (motion-sensing lighting fixtures) and dually provide outside security. They can be installed in commercial applications or at home around the exterior in key locations. Outdoor bulbs and flood fixtures may be set to activate on a timer, spot illuminating outdoor areas at dusk and dawn, or on an indoor switch controlled by the user.
BR30 or bulged reflector bulbs utilize a reflective coating within the bulb to project light forward, while PAR20 (parabolic aluminized reflector) bulbs deliver spot lighting, placing a focused light beam on an object. LED flood lights are often 9w, 24-watt, or 125w grade. The appropriate wattage for LED flood bulbs will vary depending on the application of the fixture and its intended use. Common brands of LED flood lighting fixtures and bulbs include:
Why Is My LED Flood Light Flashing?
LED bulbs are used in flood spot light fixtures to produce reliable, bright color, energy efficient outdoor lighting. LED flood lights may flash or flicker for many reasons. Common causes include:
- Fluctuations in the home or building’s voltage, such as when other appliances or electrical systems are in use, causing fluctuating loads.
- High watt surges when an appliance or electrical system is turned on.
- Loose connections, between the bulb and fixture or wiring within the fixture.
- A bad dimmer switch. LED lights must operate with appropriate dimmers – the same dimmers you use with incandescent or halogen bulbs can actually cause flickering in LEDs. These switches reduce the volts to produce a dimming effect, which is not appropriate for LED bulbs.
Troubleshooting Flashing LED Lights
A flickering or flashing LED bulb does not necessarily mean the bulb needs to be replaced. In some cases, simple troubleshooting can solve the troublesome flashing, restoring function and saving you the cost of replacement. Try the troubleshooting tips below to resolve flood light flashing.
- Check your electrical current. LED flood lights may flicker if there are voltage changes in the fixture’s wiring. Current fluctuations are often to blame for the occasional flickering or flashing of an LED flood light. If your flood lights flicker when another appliance or electrical system is in use, a voltage fluctuation is likely to blame. Solving fluctuating load issues within your electrical system can resolve flood light flashing.
- Look for high watt surges. If your Led flood lights tend to flicker when other appliances come on, surge wattage could be to blame. When an appliance turns on and draws power, it can drain power required by the LED lights, dropping the home’s voltage.
Moving problematic appliances to a dedicated circuit can solve this issue.
- Tighten connections. Loose connections may be to blame for a flickering light. If the LED bulb is not screwed in tightly to the fixture, flashing may occur – try tightening your flood bulbs. Loose wiring connections within the fixture may also be to blame. Disconnect power to your flood light circuit and tighten all wiring connections in and to the fixture.
- Clean connections. If tightening your flood bulbs does not resolve flickering, dust or debris within the fixture connections could be causing the loose connection leading to flickering. Using compressed air, blow out the fixture’s connection point. Reposition the bulb and restore power once finished.
Why Buy Quality Lighting Fixtures and Bulbs?
Poor quality LED flood light fixtures and bulbs may also contribute to the flickering or flashing experienced. Fixtures built with poor connections may make flashing a persistent problem, forcing replacement as the only solution.
When installing LED flood light fixtures, the quality of fixture chosen is essential to function and user experience. High-quality LED flood lights, such as those manufactured by LED Corporations, are built tough and are third-party tested for durability and performance.
We offer a large selection of LED floodlights to provide targeted spot or broad lighting for outdoor applications, including:
- Entrance lighting
- Parking lots
- Signage and displays
Our LED fixtures are designed to enhance safety and security of outdoor spaces, deter crime and vandalism, and add visibility and illumination where needed. Our products utilize quality LED chips to deliver high lumen efficiency to guarantee our fixtures will deliver reliable and energy efficient lighting, no matter the application. When outdoor safety and security are the matter at hand, choosing durable and reliable fixtures provides the peace of mind you need in such a critical application.
LED Corporations LED flood lighting fixtures are low maintenance, benefitting end users. LED bulbs offer service lifespan 5 times and greater than other bulb types used for flood spot lighting, such as halogen or incandescent bulbs. Our products are backed by solid warranties, maximizing the benefit to our end users.
Professional Fixes for Flickering LED Flood Lights
A licensed electrician will help you solve the issue of flickering, flashing flood lights at your home or commercial building. Your electrician can safely install a new dedicated circuit for appliances causing high wattage surges, replace malfunctioning dimmer switches, and implement other solutions specific to the issues you face. Solve your flashing LED flood light problems safely when you work with a qualified, professional electrician.bulbs fixtures LED Flood Lights LED Lighting Troubleshooting